About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Last Book Tag – borrowed from Marianne at Let’s Read 


The Last Book I Bought 

East of Eden by John Steinbeck from my local Charity Shop 

The Last Book I Borrowed 

I don’t borrow books and, generally, hardly ever lend them out so, blank on this one! 

The Last Book I Was Gifted 

I only get gifted books on my birthday these days, so it was: Beyond – The Astonishing Story of the First Human to Leave Our Planet and Journey into Space by Stephen Walker  

The Last Book I Gave to Someone 

Splitting – The Inside Story of Headaches by Amanda Ellison to my brother to see if it offered any help with his migraines. 

The Last Book I Started 

Ape and Essence by Aldous Huxley (today!). 

The Last Book I Finished 

Frostquake – How the Frozen Winter of 1962 Changed Britain Forever by Juliet Nicolson (also today!). 

The Last Book I Rated 5-Stars 

I’m a VERY harsh critic so I don’t give out many 5* recommendations. My last book came close but Auntie’s War – The BBC During the Second World War by Edward Stourton came closer! 

The Last Book I Rated 2-Stars 

Small Acts of Resistance – How Courage, Tenacity, and Ingenuity Can Change the World by Steve Crawshaw and John Jackson. This was better than merely readable but could’ve been a LOT better given the material they had to work with. 

The Last Book I DNF'd 

I’ve been really lucky this year without a single DNF (so Far). My last DNF was back in Feb of ‘21: Naked Came the Robot by Barry B. Longyear, a truly terrible book. 

The Last Book I Listened To 

Not something I’ve ever done. I did think about it when I’m ‘out and about’ but I’d honestly prefer to listen to music instead. I am listening to a Rachel Maddow podcast presently that’ll be turned into a book at some point. Does that count?  

10 comments:

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I can't believe you have not DNF-ed ANY this year!!! But we know I am impulsive and sometimes choose books all willy-nilly so it is not surprising that I always have way more DNFs than you.

CyberKitten said...

My standard is 1 DNF per year. I did come close a few times this year but no, not a one! Then again I think I DNF'd TWO last year so... Yeah, that makes sense now..... [grin]

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Lol, fair enough. I am trying to 'broaden my horizons', which has lead me to some shitty books, so really I should probably just stick to history and YA thrillers, eh? Like...The Deep. Should have DNF-ed it. But I just HAD to know if it was really as stupid as I thought, or if I was imagaining things. UGH.

CyberKitten said...

Broadening things is always risky. I do *try* to read outside my comfort zones, but they're comfortable for a REASON. [grin] I'll do at least *some* experimentation next year. Not sure exactly what yet though.....

I did wonder what would happen when your spooky & Titanic vibe collided. I imagine it was much the same as her and the berg...! I'll still try 'The Hunger' though...

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

It was a God-awful abysmal mess. Blech. I think part of my problem was that the lives of so many of the people included in the book were well-documented - they were among the most rich and famous people in the world, main character aside. And that is my issue with historical fiction as well. Don't go saying my girl Eleanor said or did something that we have no idea the accuracy.

The Hunger was really good, and maybe it was easier for me because we do not know as much about the Donner Party since they were regular, everyday people. That's more unfair though, I guess, but we obviously know that what she writes did not actually happen. Have you read anything about the party before? If not, I have couple recommendations...

The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of a Donner Party Bride by Daniel James Brown

and

Desperate Passage: The Donner Party's Perilous Journey West by Ethan Rarick

I feel like Bornw's book was marginally better (rated it 5 stars to Rarick's 4) but both are realy good.

CyberKitten said...

Historical fiction with real historical characters is SO difficult because the fictional parts can only really occur within the bits we DON'T know. It's better if the fictional bits take place against a factual backdrop with maybe real characters only appearing briefly.

Both those Donner books are already on my Wish List (luckily).

Stephen said...

I haven't heard of Ape and Essence, but I couldn't tell you anything Huxley has written beyond Brave New World and Perennial Philosophy -- and that latter one only because of the Lewis/Kennedy/Huxley title I just read.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Yes and I HATE IT. I much prefer as you said, real characters only appearing briefly. You know, my BFF Dan Jones did a great job with that in Essex Dogs, perhaps I've told you about it? His first fictional work? It's SMASHING! ;)

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen:

Crome Yellow (1921)
Antic Hay (1923)
Those Barren Leaves (1925)
Point Counter Point (1928)
Brave New World (1932)
Eyeless in Gaza (1936)
After Many a Summer Dies the Swan (1939)
Time Must Have a Stop (1944)
Ape and Essence (1948)
The Genius and the Goddess (1955)
Island (1962)

Ape was..... 'interesting' although I didn't exactly enjoy it. Review in a couple of weeks. I picked it up mostly because of Huxley, that it was THIN and it appeared to be Sci-Fi.

@ Sarah: I *think* I remember you saying something about Dan somewhere.... Although it wasn't a subject you spent too much time and enthusiasm on so.... [lol]

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Okay, well, there's this guy named Dan Jones and he's pretty neat. You should read his books! ;)