Apparently there's an 'Internet trend' to post pictures of phones from the date you were born. This is mine.... Needless to say that we didn't have one at the time and not for another 15 years or so.
Interesting...I would call that a Bell rotary but surely the UK had its own companies. Odd that they'd look so much alike.
When I googled "phone" and the year of my birth, I got results for an early cellphone, the kind in GTA VC. (I find it funny that communication in 2001 GTA 3 was just pagers, but by 2004's Vice City we had 'moved on' to cellphones.)
Oh, the phone was most likely produced by British Telecom, they just used the same generic design. When we moved to our last family home we had TWO phones! POSH! One in the hallway and one in my mothers bedroom. Of course not too long after that we started using mobile/cell phones...
I've mentioned before that I used a pager @ work (plus a radio for a while) when the sites phones started being installed - I worked on site from not long after they had put the building foundations in and most of the buildings hadn't had roofs installed yet so radio's where the only way to communicate with each other. That was FUN.
My first cellphone was a classic Nokia. *LOVED* that phone. The battery lasted 7-10 days and it was practically indestructible. I'm a Samsung user these days.
I had a little Nokia, too. Still do, actually. Little thing fell behind a bookcase and I found it a few years ago when I was in my old bedroom moving things out. I have no idea what kind of charging cable it used, though....looks proprietary. Would be fun to boot the thing up again and see my contacts from that period. Of course, that was back when texting involved cycling through the numpad to get the right letters...
I'm surprised that the Nokia had lost its charge.... [grin] I bet that it'd work if you could source a charger! I didn't text in my early days of mobiles. FAR to complex! I love it that at first texts were FREE because the companies didn't originally think that people would use the service!
Not in Germany. They were beige at the time (not a colour imho). Later you could get ochre yellow, fern green, light reddish-orange or salmon red but it cost extra.
7 comments:
Interesting...I would call that a Bell rotary but surely the UK had its own companies. Odd that they'd look so much alike.
When I googled "phone" and the year of my birth, I got results for an early cellphone, the kind in GTA VC. (I find it funny that communication in 2001 GTA 3 was just pagers, but by 2004's Vice City we had 'moved on' to cellphones.)
Oh, the phone was most likely produced by British Telecom, they just used the same generic design. When we moved to our last family home we had TWO phones! POSH! One in the hallway and one in my mothers bedroom. Of course not too long after that we started using mobile/cell phones...
I've mentioned before that I used a pager @ work (plus a radio for a while) when the sites phones started being installed - I worked on site from not long after they had put the building foundations in and most of the buildings hadn't had roofs installed yet so radio's where the only way to communicate with each other. That was FUN.
My first cellphone was a classic Nokia. *LOVED* that phone. The battery lasted 7-10 days and it was practically indestructible. I'm a Samsung user these days.
I had a little Nokia, too. Still do, actually. Little thing fell behind a bookcase and I found it a few years ago when I was in my old bedroom moving things out. I have no idea what kind of charging cable it used, though....looks proprietary. Would be fun to boot the thing up again and see my contacts from that period. Of course, that was back when texting involved cycling through the numpad to get the right letters...
I'm surprised that the Nokia had lost its charge.... [grin] I bet that it'd work if you could source a charger! I didn't text in my early days of mobiles. FAR to complex! I love it that at first texts were FREE because the companies didn't originally think that people would use the service!
That's a nice challenge. I just posted mine:
https://momobookblog.blogspot.com/2026/07/not-so-wordless-wednesday.html
Ours were black.
By the time we finally got ours I think you could have them in almost any colour. Red was my favourite!
Not in Germany. They were beige at the time (not a colour imho). Later you could get ochre yellow, fern green, light reddish-orange or salmon red but it cost extra.
Post a Comment